CITY and COUNTY OF HONOLULU
OFFICE OF CLIMATE CHANGE, SUSTAINABILITY AND RESILIENCY
Program Description: This position is offered through the City and County of Honolulu (“City”) AmeriCorps VISTA Program with support from the Corporation for National and Community Service. The mission of this program is to 1) address poverty, 2) build capacity, 3) empower communities, and 4) increase economic, social, and environmental resiliency across O‘ahu.
Serving with the City Department of Transportation Services ("DTS"), this full-time VISTA position will play a key role in building the capacity of the City's Complete Streets program, which develops policies and projects that aim to create an integrated network of streets that are safe and convenient for all people, reflect community needs and character, and reduce climate change impacts island-wide. This position will work with the Complete Streets Administrator and will support efforts to conduct research that informs transportation policies and investments and engage residents in Complete Streets projects.
This year-long position begins August 5, 2019 and is based in Honolulu, Hawai‘i.
Responsibilities and Duties: The Complete Streets Transportation Program Specialist VISTA will focus on supporting DTS to build outreach and engagement capacities that support the development of sustainable transportation policies and projects through the Complete Streets program. Specific activities include:
(1) Develop and assist in the execution of a Complete Streets communications plan;
(2) Develop and deploy outreach strategies and document community engagement efforts;
(3) Participate in public events and community presentations to increase awareness of the Complete Streets program and its benefits;
(4) Organize events for transportation professionals to share best practices in Complete Streets design and policy;
(5) Analyze existing plans to determine future program project areas, particularly in areas under-served by past transportation investments; and
(6) Conduct research to inform the development of legislation, policies, and performance measures in support of the Complete Streets program.
Candidates should have an interest and demonstrated experience in community engagement with strong writing and communication skills. Candidates should also demonstrate a basic understanding of transportation systems and climate change, particularly for island communities. Ideally, candidates would also have an interest in public administration, public policy, and advocacy.
In order to be considered for the for the City and County of Honolulu AmeriCorps VISTA Program, candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
Available full-time (40 hours/week)
College graduate or relevant work experience
18 years or older
U.S. Citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident
Not listed on the National Sex Offenders Public Registry
Compensation and Benefits:
Living allowance (approx. $24,119 annually)
Education award or end of service stipend (approx. $6,095)
AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefit Plan (see: www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare)
Individual mentorship and professional development
Start – August 5, 2019
End – August 4, 2020
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted through the AmeriCorps website (Note: you will need to create an AmeriCorps account to apply.)
Deadline to Apply: 5:59 p.m. HST on Wednesday, June 26, 2019