CITY and COUNTY OF HONOLULU
OFFICE OF CLIMATE CHANGE, SUSTAINABILITY AND RESILIENCY
Program Description: This position is offered through the City and County of Honolulu (“City”) AmeriCorps VISTA Program with support from the Corporation for National and Community Service. The mission of this program is to 1) address poverty, 2) build capacity, 3) empower communities, and 4) increase economic, social, and environmental resiliency across O‘ahu.
Serving with the City’s Department of Planning and Permitting ("DPP"), this full-time VISTA position will play a key role in developing a community-centered, resilient approach to reducing flood risk that both protects the island's natural floodplains and decreases residents' physical and economic vulnerabilities. This position will work with DPP's Floodplain Manager and will support efforts to (1) create communications and outreach resources that engage residents around flood hazards and risk-reduction strategies; and (2) develop resilient flood mitigation policies and programs.
This year-long position begins August 5, 2019 and is based in Honolulu, Hawai‘i.
Responsibilities and Duties: The Flood Mitigation Community Engagement Specialist VISTA will focus on building DPP's capacity to engage and inform residents on flood risks, impacts, and mitigation strategies. Specific activities include:
(1) Develop a communications plan that identifies strategic messages, key messengers, and opportunities for resource dissemination;
(2) Create informational resources to increase flood hazard awareness, inspire action on mitigation, and promote flood insurance as an important preparedness measure;
(3) Conduct community needs assessments to identify gaps in available public information and recommend priority areas in which to target outreach projects;
(4) Analyze flood maps and other City guidance materials to communicate localized flood risks and impacts to both City agencies and the general public; and
(5) Attend events that engage and educate residents on flood protection strategies in their local communities.
Candidates should have an interest and demonstrated experience in community engagement with strong writing and communication skills. Candidates should also demonstrate a basic understanding of climate change impacts to island communities. Ideally, candidates would also have an interest in public administration, public policy, and advocacy.
In order to be considered for the for the City and County of Honolulu AmeriCorps VISTA Program, candidates must meet the following minimum requirements:
Available full-time (40 hours/week)
College graduate or relevant work experience
18 years or older
U.S. Citizen or a Lawful Permanent Resident
Not listed on the National Sex Offenders Public Registry
Compensation and Benefits:
Living allowance (approx. $24,119 annually)
Education award or end of service stipend (approx. $6,095)
AmeriCorps VISTA Health Benefit Plan (see: www.vistacampus.gov/healthcare)
Individual mentorship and professional development
Start – August 5, 2019
End – August 4, 2020
How to Apply: Applications must be submitted through the AmeriCorps website (Note: you will need to create an AmeriCorps account to apply.)
Deadline to Apply: 5:59 p.m. HST on Wednesday, June 26, 2019